The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have decided to commission a guitar with Allen Park, Michigan luthier Gary Zimnicki.

It's All in the Details - Zimnicki Guitars

Gary builds archtop, flattop, Gypsy, nylon string guitars as well as mandolins and ukuleles. I have known Gary for over a decade now, meeting him and auditioning his instruments at the Artisan Guitar Show, Rocky Mountain Archtop Festival and Woodstock Invitational Luthiers Showcase. I have always found his instruments to be excellent, but never thought of the right project for him up until now.

I recently visited the Musical Instrument Museum in Scottsdale, AZ and saw a visiting collection of instruments called “Acoustic America”. Among that collection was a 1924 Gibson Lloyd Loar signed L5. This is architype American archtop guitar. I decided to have Gary make a 16” L5 derivative archtop for me. It will not be an exact replica but with be an instrument with a very strong nod to the Kalamazoo namesake with a couple of custom material and ergonomic features.

I was fortunate to get some good measurements on some vintage L5s and was able to get some photos of certain details. These archtops have asymmetrical parallel braces likely derivative of mandolins. The 1923-1924 Type 1 models had Birch backs and Virzi Tone Producers (elliptical spruce disk with f-holes suspended from the soundboard on three posts) which this instrument will not have. The Type 2 models 1925-1929 will be more what this guitar will be based on.

The Gibson catalog from 1924-25 stated “Sounding boards are carved from Adirondack, West Virginia, Norway or Pacific Coast spruce of the very highest grade and quality available.” This archtop top set is quartersawn, AAA aesthetic grade Sitka Spruce sourced from Alaska Specialty Woods (Craig, AK). Being harvested from an enormous old growth tree, it has incredibly tight grain structure and displays beautiful medullary array as a result of their sawyering. Sitka Spruce is a denser and stiffer softwood, on average falling in between Norway Spruce (Picea abies) and Red Spruce (Picea reubens).

The Gibson catalog from 1924-25 stated: “Back-boards are fashioned from the finest quality straight and curly grained Northern Michigan maple or birch, depending on the style and grade of the instrument.” The back and side set is a beautiful curly, AAA aesthetic grade fiddleback, Red Maple (Acer rubrum) that was originally sourced from American Specialty Hardwoods (Clinton, MI). Red Maple as one of the North American soft maples that falls in between western Bigleaf Maple (Acer macrophyllum) and European Sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus) in terms of density, hardness and stiffness. We will use it for the back, sides and part of the three piece neck.

Back Set

Rims

Neck

Instead of using traditional celluloid binding, Gary will use hardwood binding on this instrument. The guitar will have a Kalamazoo-esque Cremona Brown Sunburst, so we wanted to use a durable, hard, color contrasting, visually interesting hardwood for binding. We chose East Indian Satinwood (Chloroxylom swietenia). This a dense, hardwood light in color with beautiful, chatoyant figure.

Here are the specifications…

Dimensional Specifications:

Upper Bout - 11-5/8”
    Waist - 9-11/32”
    Lower Bout - 16-7/32”
    Overall Length - 40-1/2”
    Body Depth - 20-1/4”
    Rim Depth - 3-11/32”
    Nut Width - 1-3/4”
    Scale Length - 24-3/4”
    String Spacing at Bridge - 2-5/16”
    Neck Profile - C Profile
    Neck Depth 1st Fret - 54/64”
    Neck Depth 10th Fret - 60/64”
    Fretboard Radius - 12” radius
    Finger Rest Length - 9-7/16”
    Finger Rest Width (Widest Point) - 3-1/2”

Materials Specifications:

Top Wood - Sitka Spruce
    Top Braces - Red Spruce
    Linings - Spanish Cedar (Reverse Kerfed Top, Kerfed Back)
    Neck Block - Honduran Mahogany, Laminated
    End Block - Honduran Mahogany, Laminated
    Back & Sides - Red Maple
    Body Binding - Ceylon Satinwood
    Top Purfling - Black Fiber/Maple/Black Fiber
    Side Purfling - Black Fiber/Maple/Black Fiber
    Finish - Seagraves Nitrocellulose Lacquer, Cremona Brown Sunburst
    Finger Rest - Gaboon Ebony
    Finger Rest Binding - Ceylon Satinwood
    Finger Rest Purfling - Maple/Black Fiber
    Bridge - Gaboon Ebony, Gold Saddle Adjustment Wheels
    Neck Woods - Red Maple/Honduran Mahogany/Red Maple
    Fretboard - Gaboon Ebony
    Fretboard Top Purflings - Maple/Black Fiber
    Fretboard Bindings - Ceylon Satinwood
    Fretboard Side Purflings - Ebony/Maple
    Side Position Markers - 1.5 mm @ 3, 5, 7, 9, 12 and 15 frets
    Position Markers - 3 mm MOP Dots @ 5, 7, 9 12 x 2 and 15 frets
    Nut Material - Unbleached Cow Bone
    Heel Plate - Ceylon Satinwood/Black Fiber/Maple
    Truss Rod - Allied Lutherie Double Acting
    Head Plate Veneer - Gaboon Ebony
    Head Plate Inlay - MOP Flower Pot, “The Zimnicki”
    Head Plate Top Purfling - Maple/Black Fiber
    Head Plate Binding - Ceylon Satinwood
    Head Plate Side Purflings - Ebony/Maple
    Truss Rod Cover - Gaboon Ebony

Hardware Specifications:

Tuners - Waverly Individual Guitar Tuners with Pearl Knobs for Solid Pegheads, Gold
    Tailpiece - Custom Made, Gold
    Finger Rest Bracket - Gold Plated, Ceylon Satinwood/Ebony/Maple
    End Pin - Waverly Ebony End Pin with MOP Shell Inlay
    Fret Wire - Jescar EVO 51100
    Strings - 80/20, 12-53
    Case - Visesnut Active Series Jumbo

The build will not begin until 2025 with a fall 2025 delivery. I will post photos here when the build begins in earnest.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    I have decided to commission a guitar with Allen Park, Michigan luthier Gary Zimnicki.

It's All in the Details - Zimnicki Guitars

Gary builds archtop, flattop, Gypsy, nylon string guitars as well as mandolins and ukuleles. I have known Gary for over a decade now, meeting him and auditioning his instruments at the Artisan Guitar Show, Rocky Mountain Archtop Festival and Woodstock Invitational Luthiers Showcase. I have always found his instruments to be excellent, but never thought of the right project for him up until now.

I recently visited the Musical Instrument Museum in Scottsdale, AZ and saw a visiting collection of instruments called “Acoustic America”. Among that collection was a 1924 Gibson Lloyd Loar signed L5. This is architype American archtop guitar. I decided to have Gary make a 16” L5 derivative archtop for me. It will not be an exact replica but with be an instrument with a very strong nod to the Kalamazoo namesake with a couple of custom material and ergonomic features.

I was fortunate to get some good measurements on some vintage L5s and was able to get some photos of certain details. These archtops have asymmetrical parallel braces likely derivative of mandolins. The 1923-1924 Type 1 models had Birch backs and Virzi Tone Producers (elliptical spruce disk with f-holes suspended from the soundboard on three posts) which this instrument will not have. The Type 2 models 1925-1929 will be more what this guitar will be based on.

The Gibson catalog from 1924-25 stated “Sounding boards are carved from Adirondack, West Virginia, Norway or Pacific Coast spruce of the very highest grade and quality available.” This archtop top set is quartersawn, AAA aesthetic grade Sitka Spruce sourced from Alaska Specialty Woods (Craig, AK). Being harvested from an enormous old growth tree, it has incredibly tight grain structure and displays beautiful medullary array as a result of their sawyering. Sitka Spruce is a denser and stiffer softwood, on average falling in between Norway Spruce (Picea abies) and Red Spruce (Picea reubens).

The Gibson catalog from 1924-25 stated: “Back-boards are fashioned from the finest quality straight and curly grained Northern Michigan maple or birch, depending on the style and grade of the instrument.” The back and side set is a beautiful curly, AAA aesthetic grade fiddleback, Red Maple (Acer rubrum) that was originally sourced from American Specialty Hardwoods (Clinton, MI). Red Maple as one of the North American soft maples that falls in between western Bigleaf Maple (Acer macrophyllum) and European Sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus) in terms of density, hardness and stiffness. We will use it for the back, sides and part of the three piece neck.

Back Set

Rims

Neck

Instead of using traditional celluloid binding, Gary will use hardwood binding on this instrument. The guitar will have a Kalamazoo-esque Cremona Brown Sunburst, so we wanted to use a durable, hard, color contrasting, visually interesting hardwood for binding. We chose East Indian Satinwood (Chloroxylom swietenia). This a dense, hardwood light in color with beautiful, chatoyant figure.

Here are the specifications…

Dimensional Specifications:

Upper Bout - 11-5/8”
    Waist - 9-11/32”
    Lower Bout - 16-7/32”
    Overall Length - 40-1/2”
    Body Depth - 20-1/4”
    Rim Depth - 3-11/32”
    Nut Width - 1-3/4”
    Scale Length - 24-3/4”
    String Spacing at Bridge - 2-5/16”
    Neck Profile - C Profile
    Neck Depth 1st Fret - 54/64”
    Neck Depth 10th Fret - 60/64”
    Fretboard Radius - 12” radius
    Finger Rest Length - 9-7/16”
    Finger Rest Width (Widest Point) - 3-1/2”

Materials Specifications:

Top Wood - Sitka Spruce
    Top Braces - Red Spruce
    Linings - Spanish Cedar (Reverse Kerfed Top, Kerfed Back)
    Neck Block - Honduran Mahogany, Laminated
    End Block - Honduran Mahogany, Laminated
    Back & Sides - Red Maple
    Body Binding - Ceylon Satinwood
    Top Purfling - Black Fiber/Maple/Black Fiber
    Side Purfling - Black Fiber/Maple/Black Fiber
    Finish - Seagraves Nitrocellulose Lacquer, Cremona Brown Sunburst
    Finger Rest - Gaboon Ebony
    Finger Rest Binding - Ceylon Satinwood
    Finger Rest Purfling - Maple/Black Fiber
    Bridge - Gaboon Ebony, Gold Saddle Adjustment Wheels
    Neck Woods - Red Maple/Honduran Mahogany/Red Maple
    Fretboard - Gaboon Ebony
    Fretboard Top Purflings - Maple/Black Fiber
    Fretboard Bindings - Ceylon Satinwood
    Fretboard Side Purflings - Ebony/Maple
    Side Position Markers - 1.5 mm @ 3, 5, 7, 9, 12 and 15 frets
    Position Markers - 3 mm MOP Dots @ 5, 7, 9 12 x 2 and 15 frets
    Nut Material - Unbleached Cow Bone
    Heel Plate - Ceylon Satinwood/Black Fiber/Maple
    Truss Rod - Allied Lutherie Double Acting
    Head Plate Veneer - Gaboon Ebony
    Head Plate Inlay - MOP Flower Pot, “The Zimnicki”
    Head Plate Top Purfling - Maple/Black Fiber
    Head Plate Binding - Ceylon Satinwood
    Head Plate Side Purflings - Ebony/Maple
    Truss Rod Cover - Gaboon Ebony

Hardware Specifications:

Tuners - Waverly Individual Guitar Tuners with Pearl Knobs for Solid Pegheads, Gold
    Tailpiece - Custom Made, Gold
    Finger Rest Bracket - Gold Plated, Ceylon Satinwood/Ebony/Maple
    End Pin - Waverly Ebony End Pin with MOP Shell Inlay
    Fret Wire - Jescar EVO 51100
    Strings - 80/20, 12-53
    Case - Visesnut Active Series Jumbo

The build will not begin until 2025 with a fall 2025 delivery. I will post photos here when the build begins in earnest.
    This is going to be an amazing project.

User Info Menu

Beautiful write up. Look forward to future posts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    I decided to have Gary make a 16” L5 derivative archtop for me. It will not be an exact replica but with be an instrument with a very strong nod to the Kalamazoo namesake with a couple of custom material and ergonomic features.
    If you can't afford the real deal, but can afford a bit more than a Loar costs I'm sure it'll turn out great, so very premature kudos!

That must be the only faux pas for my eyes ... but there's time enough to discuss putting on matching wood knobs

GOOD CHOICE -- GARY ZIMNICKI

Some examples of Gary's labor of love from his exhibit at Woodstock October 2022 -- I love his guitars!
    Purple Heart hardwood binding is beautiful on that superbly built natural spruce and maple single venetian cut-away.
    And the stunning bird in the branch inlay in the headstock of the flat-top!
    Gary's attention to detail is outstanding, and the build of his instruments, splendid.
    Attached Images Attached Images Gary Zimnicki - 1925 L5 Derivative Archtop [Sitka Spruce | Red Maple]-img_20221021_114206885-jpg Gary Zimnicki - 1925 L5 Derivative Archtop [Sitka Spruce | Red Maple]-img_20221021_114213174_hdr-jpg Gary Zimnicki - 1925 L5 Derivative Archtop [Sitka Spruce | Red Maple]-img_20221021_114800818-jpg Gary Zimnicki - 1925 L5 Derivative Archtop [Sitka Spruce | Red Maple]-img_20221021_1147486972-jpg 
    Last edited by ArchieHollow; 05-26-2024 at 12:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Hmm, purple bindings on a blonde guitar is an acquired taste, but doesn't that wood turn brown over time anyway?